Last night Sony put on a live-stream event showing off some of the games we can expect to see on the upcoming PS5. There is an updated/expanded version of GTA V, a new Gran Turismo, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, a new Ratchet & Clank, a new instalment of the Oddworld franchise and whole host more. Then right at the end of the live-stream, Sony showed us what the next-gen console will look like.
The tall white & black console comes in two forms. One with an optical drive for physical games and movies and a purely digital version that’ll play downloaded games from the Playstation Store. It’s unlike any Playstation that has come before it and somehow very Playstation in its design.
We also know some of the specs for the new console(s):
- CPU: AMD Zen 2-based CPU with 8 cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU architecture: Custom RDNA 2
- Memory interface: 16GB GDDR6 / 256-bit
- Memory bandwidth: 448GB/s
- Internal storage: Custom 825GB SSD
- IO throughput: 5.5GB/s (raw), typical 8-9GB/s (compressed)
- Expandable storage: NVMe SSD slot
- External storage: USB HDD support (PS4 games only)
- Optical drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray drive
Altogether this is quite an exciting reveal for casual and hardcore gamers alike. The PS5 looks like it’ll be an absolute screamer and will feature some amazing new titles as well next-gen version of some the great franchises. We don’t yet know when exactly it’ll launch (although we know it’ll be in time for Christmas) or how much it’ll cost. It probably won’t be cheap. we expect a retail price somewhere around £500.
What game are you most excited for on the PS5? Let us know in the comments.