The New GoPro Hero 3+
GoPro have released an updated version of their Hero 3 camera and this one claims some pretty cool improvements. We take a look at the new GoPro Hero 3+ and help you decide if it is worth the change.
The Hero 3+ upgrade is available for the Black and Silver editions of the Hero 3 and what it’s boasting are things that, if they are as good as they are being advertised, is going to bring on a giant sigh of relief from GoPro users over the planet. So let’s take a look at what they have got to offer.
The Hero 3+ Black edition is their top model.
- The Hero 3+ is 20% smaller and lighter in size meaning it’s going to be one of two things. 1. Easier to mount in more troublesome areas allowing you to capture more crazy action and adventure footage or 2. Be really really annoying to operate the buttons.
- Video and Image specs: Not a lot of change from the standard Hero 3 Black edition, so don’t be fooled! Don’t get me wrong the shooting capabilities are incredible for such a small and versatile camera, but the change between the two editions isn’t that big!
- Image sharpness: GoPro are boasting a 33% increase due to their sharper lens and grain reduction. This, I for one, will believe when I see it!
- SuperView: This is GoPro patented video mode that allows you to capture more of the frame creating a sort of over-emphasised wide shot. So now you’ve got fish eye narrow, medium, wide and SuperView video modes to choose from! It’s definitely earned it’s ‘+’ for action sports as now you can capture more of your surroundings in the shot.
- Auto Low Light mode: The GoPro can now adjust its frame rate automatically to suit low light shooting conditions meaning you’ll hopefully get a clearer, less grainy shot in low light.
- Audio: YES, YES, YES! FINALLY! Easily the most frustrating thing about using GoPros is the sound quality, especially when you have it in it’s housing. Advertised to have increased wind reduction this might just be the best feature of the ‘+’ model. But we will see.
- Battery life and Wifi: 30% longer battery life and improved wifi range and speed, suggesting you can access the camera using the app or remote via wifi at ranges of up to 180 m. Both sound fantastic individually, but seeing as the biggest drain of battery with the Hero 3 models is when using wifi, I can’t see that 30% extra battery going very far, especially as now the wifi capabilities are far more demanding.
So is it worth upgrading or are GoPro taking a leap out of the book of Apple and doing regular upgrades with little change between models? I’d say that there is enough of an improvement to invest. I’d say don’t bother if like me, you have a regular Hero 3 and it’s serving you well, but if you are looking to invest and are weighing up a regular Hero 3 (which you can’t actually buy direct anymore) or the Hero 3+, I’d say go for it. The price difference isn’t that much more and if the audio, sharpness and quality improvements are as good as they say they are, it’ll be well worth the money.
Take a look here for more information and to buy a Hero 3+.